Saturday, September 17, 2011

Total flight time: 18 hrs, with a 7 hr layover in Doha, Qatar. One hour of my layover was spent starting this cool Coloring Zoology book. The instructions tell you when to fill in certain parts of the diagrams and teach you as you go. I’m really excited to be able to take my time and learn at my own pace.


 Riju, my cousin/sister on her new motorbike. Driving through Kathmandu is always an exhilarating way to see the sights, people, and of course the feel of the slight rush of adrenaline from driving through crazy traffic. Don’t worry, Dad: I was wearing a helmet.  

Interesting: while driving, I saw a billboard for a Vaseline skin lightening cream, with the phrase  “turn your body as light as your face.” It’s literally the opposite of that product in the states that tans over time. Interesting differences in body image. Riju says it's targeted especially for Indians living in Nepal.

 View from our house in Patan, Nepal

The bill from a café near the U.S. embassy.

4 comments:

  1. I noticed those billboards last time too. I think some of them are skin bleaches which can't be good, but think of how much healthier of a culture it is to want to PROTECT skin from the sun rather than further expose it. Go SPF!

    Mom and I are viewing your blog together. She wonders where you got that zoology book. I commented that you are a good blogger because you note things that piqued your interest instead of just making a list of everything you did, as I probably would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mom- the zoology book was 50cents at Yesterday's Rose. If I ever become a teacher/professor, I'm going to add it to the book list.

    I'm trying to make my blog this time around more picture based like this, so it's a little more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures, text ... all are interesting.
    Waiting for news that you and family are safe following the earthquake. Mineral, VA; India/Nepal border; too many earthquakes close to where you are!

    ReplyDelete