Sunday, November 27, 2011

the arts


Rushdie reads from his "Enchantress of Florence"

Last week I bought a Salman Rushdie novel from Cafe Soma, a cute little cafe (albeit overpriced) with an entire wall of books that you can buy and after return half price. I've gotten a bit tired of re-reading the entire LOTR... I'm already in the final book but all the talk of war is honestly slightly boring. Anyway, so for the change of pace I've been reading The Enchantress of Florence. Just like when I'm listening to art music, it's nice to reflect on the story behind the story, and this NPR segment has us listening directly from Rushdie as he's reading a bit of his own passage - how inspiring.

Speaking of inspiring, today I also attended a performance of Samjouta, performed by a troupe from India and in Hindi. Very dramatic.

2 comments:

  1. My professor at school defined it as another way of saying the colloquially spoken "classical music", but since classical is a period, it's another way of thinking of all that traditional music. but, all music is music!

    ReplyDelete