hola! HERE IS AN UPDATE! and it's not even written by me. No puedo sit down and write everything that happened during the 9-day field trip along the coast of Ecuador. So I invite you to read my classmate's version: http://koverbey.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/ecuador-defined/ . Katie is a student from UNC. Note that some of her perspectives and ~activities~ are different, but she is a more skilled writer than me.
And note that I did not partake in the Muisne activities she is talking about, partly because I was sick at home in the research station ):
My personal highlights from the trip:
- Getting to know everyone on the trip. These 11 other students are going to be in all of my classes for the next 3 months! We really got to know each other through sickness and in health as we travelled, learned, and dove.
- Poor Luis - our teacher hurt is back while body surfing. I was on shore when he crawled up and out of the water. Asking him what he needed, his response: "I need Jesus." He had no recollection of this after. I think due to his pain, our class was more relaxed than usual.
- Learning about the fishing industries (lobsters, general, sharks!)
- Diving for science: Surveying fish, mobile macroinvertebrates, coral density. I was responsible for the invertebrate surveys, so I was looking for things like these:
And note that I did not partake in the Muisne activities she is talking about, partly because I was sick at home in the research station ):
My personal highlights from the trip:
- Getting to know everyone on the trip. These 11 other students are going to be in all of my classes for the next 3 months! We really got to know each other through sickness and in health as we travelled, learned, and dove.
- Poor Luis - our teacher hurt is back while body surfing. I was on shore when he crawled up and out of the water. Asking him what he needed, his response: "I need Jesus." He had no recollection of this after. I think due to his pain, our class was more relaxed than usual.
- Learning about the fishing industries (lobsters, general, sharks!)
- Diving for science: Surveying fish, mobile macroinvertebrates, coral density. I was responsible for the invertebrate surveys, so I was looking for things like these:
From left to right: pencil sea urchin, blue sea star, sea cucumber, Diadema mexicanum
And now I'm finally in the Galapagos, snorkeling away!

No comments:
Post a Comment