2:30 am. Just returned from a surreal trip out to Peter Lake where we took the cascade's boat out and went swimming. Since it's July, the water's had plenty of time to warm up and it felt so lovely. Like how a water nymph would feel. Lady of the Water.
Today was fourth of july! we celebrated by grilling our weekly communal meal today. Grace from the cascade project and I made homemade bean burgers out of beans, lentils, TVP, and garlic. They were so good, if not better, than the store bought ones. I'm definitely gonna try to make more of my own!
Alexandra, my Canadian roommate, celebrated by wearing an awesome shirt that featured the Statue of Liberty ridin' dirty on a motorcycle, courtesy of Walmart.
As an Update on last week's doings:
- finished the updated version of the tanks for my bluegill experiment and ran some pre-trials. experiment officially starts tomorrow!
- first week with Ricky, our new field technician. Ricky is helping Ashley out with her intense surveying of ten different lakes. We are now such an intense research team! There's five of us!
- Interesting crayfish container observation: somehow there were 3 young-of-year crayfish in one of Lindsey's containers on High Lake? Suggests that there's a hole in the container? That was just a huge surprise.
The weekend was spent canoeing over to the incredible campsite peninsula on Palmer Lake, where I slept right over the lake in my hammock. Even though the bugs were a bit obnoxious in the morning, the sensation of falling asleep under the sheet of stars and sounds of bullfrogs made it worth it. Canoeing to this site was different than last time because we didn't leave until 930 pm, just went it was finally getting dark post-sunset. So lovely! We also went swimming on Roach with some guys from Ward (/cascade) where I took "swimming" very literally and was doing flips in the water while they lounged on the raft. I feel like that happens a lot.... when people say they're going swimming, I always generally want to stay in the water way longer than they do. Oh well, I guess my lifetime of competitive swimming has truly set me up to be an aquatic ecologist!
And while I do love aquatic ecology, it was refreshing to help Chips out with his terrestrial experiment today since we had the day "off." ("off" in quotes because I still did bluegill-crayfish experiments anyway). Even though I didn't do much, except flag some bird excluder fishing line and was the Champion Trampler, it was nice to be on land and hanging out in a forest.
wahoo!
Today was fourth of july! we celebrated by grilling our weekly communal meal today. Grace from the cascade project and I made homemade bean burgers out of beans, lentils, TVP, and garlic. They were so good, if not better, than the store bought ones. I'm definitely gonna try to make more of my own!
Alexandra, my Canadian roommate, celebrated by wearing an awesome shirt that featured the Statue of Liberty ridin' dirty on a motorcycle, courtesy of Walmart.
As an Update on last week's doings:
- finished the updated version of the tanks for my bluegill experiment and ran some pre-trials. experiment officially starts tomorrow!
- first week with Ricky, our new field technician. Ricky is helping Ashley out with her intense surveying of ten different lakes. We are now such an intense research team! There's five of us!
- Interesting crayfish container observation: somehow there were 3 young-of-year crayfish in one of Lindsey's containers on High Lake? Suggests that there's a hole in the container? That was just a huge surprise.
The weekend was spent canoeing over to the incredible campsite peninsula on Palmer Lake, where I slept right over the lake in my hammock. Even though the bugs were a bit obnoxious in the morning, the sensation of falling asleep under the sheet of stars and sounds of bullfrogs made it worth it. Canoeing to this site was different than last time because we didn't leave until 930 pm, just went it was finally getting dark post-sunset. So lovely! We also went swimming on Roach with some guys from Ward (/cascade) where I took "swimming" very literally and was doing flips in the water while they lounged on the raft. I feel like that happens a lot.... when people say they're going swimming, I always generally want to stay in the water way longer than they do. Oh well, I guess my lifetime of competitive swimming has truly set me up to be an aquatic ecologist!
And while I do love aquatic ecology, it was refreshing to help Chips out with his terrestrial experiment today since we had the day "off." ("off" in quotes because I still did bluegill-crayfish experiments anyway). Even though I didn't do much, except flag some bird excluder fishing line and was the Champion Trampler, it was nice to be on land and hanging out in a forest.
wahoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment