what a lovely friday!
FIELD 9 - 5
- big lake: bluegill/pumpkinseed experiments
- plum lake: snail collections. snail collections are one of the most relaxing activities, ever. It's so simple to search for the Amnicola limosus: they cling to the vallisneria and potamogeton aquatic plants, tiny spirals that fall into gravity if you approach too quickly. But it allows me to relax my mind, away from the electronic distractions of the world. It's a chance to think alone for a few hours. Today I was thinking predominantly (and surprisingly) a lot about Harry Potter; the characters, actors, worldwide effect, message. But, as usual, I also dwelled on thoughts of the future semester and future career.
- trout lake: housed the snails, changed crayfish waters
- UNDERC adventures: spontaneous trips to on-property bogs, including T. and Cranberry. this 90 minute drive around property was particularly enjoyable because it was a chance to roam through the 8,000 acres that notre dame owns. UNDERC is basically like a giant gated nature preserve. We're always off on different lakes and I barely know the lakes we live on! We also stopped at the infamous fish pit where bald eagles are known to hang out (none sighted) and gravel pit (lotz of wild berries). we were also constantly on the lookout for oyster mushrooms. we didn't collect too much, but enough for me to make a completely freehand mushroom soup for dinner.
- dinner: foragers, unite! I was struggling with the soup because the oysters we picked were getting pretty old and I was worried we wouldn't have enough, but the soup was incredible! so good that mah friends were asking for the recipe! but really, all I did was use veg bouillon cubes and some miso soup mix as a broth and added the mushrooms, cubed potatoes, and scallions to a soup. it got so good! so yummi! I hope I can make it again. Ashley made a delicious tofu curry for us (us = another spontaneous Lodge Lab dinner)
- BINGO! I bought a set from 1981 at the local flea market for $1. I was worried that I was the only one that wanted to play and that I've been coercing others to play, but we all had a good time! The prize for winning rounds were brownies, and you could earn more bingo cards by successfully winning that round's challenge that was determined by the Bingo Master. The challenges included drawing themed art on the boring cardboard game pieces, writing haikus, creating toasts, funny five words, etc. We basically made up rules along the way and it proved for a fun evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment