Sunday, June 26, 2011

nymphaeaceae, vallisneria, potamogeton, oh my!

FRIDAY
We have a new Lodge Lab Field Technician! His name's Ricky, and he'll be here through August helping with all of the intense sampling we're going to be doing. Yay! It's pretty cool having such a complete lab now because we can form some pretty great ultimate frisbee teams ;)

SATURDAY
I baked my first ~real~ german chocolate cake! It was for Ashley's birthday, and I know that she likes chocolate and coconut. It was a challenge (and a bit expensive) buying all of the ingredients from the store instead of just a cake mix (unbleached flour, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, pecans, coconut, etc.) but now I can do so much baking! It Will Happen! And the frosting was sooooo good omnomnom.

To celebrate, we all hung out in A Apartment, and at one point there were four ukes being played! so wonderful!! I ended up getting the chords for Happy Birthday, so three of us attempted to play and sing when it was time for singing, but it wasn't very successful. oh well, it can only get better.

SUNDAY
plant workshop! ashley's boyfriend, eric/k, is incredibly knowledeable on plants (it's his thing) so we went snorkeling for plants and every so often stopped to talk about what we were collecting. then at the end we put them in different bins to compare and practice identifying. I don't think that I've got it all completely down by name, but it was helpful to hear the words and start recognizing the families. We need to know this stuff because in a few weeks we're going to be doing lake surveys on 10 different lakes as a follow-up to an experiment that was carried out 10 years ago. unfortunately, we won't have eric/k with us since he was just visiting, so it'll be all up to us (and our guidebooks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment