LAB 9-2
FIELD 2:30 - 9:30
I just had an incredible conversation with a temporary roommate we had here in B2, Kim T. Kim is a post-doc who is researching at Chapman, and travelled here for a few days with her colleague, Steve, to collect research supplies. We talked about science, what biology means, when exactly is it that you become A Scientist. We talked about her past when she attended Chapman for undergrad as well, where she studied nudibranches (!) and coral reef ecology with Dr. Wright, and her experiences doing her master's in Japan. She was telling me about how she got so far along in her scientific career was basically due to the fact that she just wanted to keep learning, and didn't really know what she wanted to do. Also, I think it's time for a biostats class.
There are days when I'm here that I'm really excited to be A Scientist, but there are times when I can't help but think how intimidating it all is, and is this the direction I really want to go? Writing grants and building crayfish containers? Although, I gotta say. I'm getting pretty good at using a drill and the whole visiting a hardware store thing.
Today's Tasks:
- Buoy construction
- Crayfish feeding experiments @ Trout Lake w/Ashley. First mortality.
- Supposed to set fyke nets in Tenderfoot, ended up just walking through it instead.
Also, I took my camera out today for the first time! I'll upload some pics hopefully tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing some uploaded photos!
ReplyDelete